Why is Veganism Expensive?

Why does veganism appear to be so expensive?

When discussing the benefits of a plant-based diet, many people agree with the factual information presented. A lot of animal products are detrimental to human health, and fruits and vegetables are health promoting. So, where does the problem lie? Why don’t more people eat more vegan meals? There is an extremely long and complicated answer to this question, and if I could provide the answer in whole, vegans worldwide would rejoice. But, I can’t do that. 
Human beings are intricate creatures with an array of emotions that I can only basically comprehend, but in my time promoting this lifestyle and encouraging conversations with people who live quite far away from the vegan lifestyle, there are a few trends that I have noticed.




1.) Vegan food doesn’t fit into a category

Many of this issues that surface when understanding what veganism is come from the fact that humans like to put things into metaphorical boxes. “Regular food” and “Vegan food.” For example, let’s talk about a simple pasta dish. Penne pasta, tomato sauce, and sautéed spinach with tons of spices with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. The only thing that makes this dish “regular food” and not “vegan food” is the garnish. So, if I prepared this meal without the cheese and presented it as a vegan meal, would that make any sense? No. Vegan food is just ingredients that everyone in the world uses, minus the ones that come from animals. Generally speaking, if you eat a vegan meal, you’re not eating any category of food that you’ve never eaten before, you’re just eating them in a different form or presentation.




2.) You don’t need to use mock meats

The one thing in the vegan world that is foreign to non-vegans is meat and dairy alternatives. They look like meat, and especially in 2018, a lot of them smell and taste exactly like meat as well, but they aren’t meat. Not even close. (And no, they’re not made of tofu either.) Mock meats are a specialty item, or what many vegans would call a transition food. It’s for people who want to lean toward a healthier and more ethical lifestyle, but can’t seem to give up their burgers or Mac and cheese. These items aren’t designed to be part of the everyday diet, and replace the items you were used to eating before, they’re basically just there to curb the cravings and keep you on track with a plant-based lifestyle. 
When I went vegetarian at the age of 10, I had no clue what I was doing, and my lovely mother did her best to support me, but it was so foreign back then. Meat was supposed to be a staple of the diet, so I ate A LOT of alternatives back then, because we tried to make my vegetarian diet mimic the one I had before giving up meat. It wasn’t any healthier. With the information we have today, I now know that instead of replacing the chicken with vegetarian chicken, I could have just doubled up on my portion of vegetables and been just fine, but there’s a learning curve for everyone. 
Today, I eat meat alternatives on special occasions, or to try out new creations. 
It’s much healthier and cheaper to just replace the meat portion of a recipe with some type of bean. 

Beef: black beans with soy sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion
(Mushrooms also make a great swap!)
Pork: red kidney beans or pinto beans with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion
Poultry: white beans or chickpeas with poultry seasoning

Or, just omit it all together.




3.) Expectations

When I prepare “vegan” dishes, I prepare them to they taste good and make people feel satisfied. If (as a non-vegan) you think that vegans are desperately trying to make food that tricks you into thinking it’s meat, then you’re very wrong. In fact, a big pet peeve of mine is when I make a meal, and someone says “it’s good, but it doesn’t taste like meat.” Well my friend, my only objective was to make the food taste good. 
Contrary to what most people think, the last thing on our minds in the kitchen is meat. 





So, long story short, veganism isn’t expensive. Vegan food isn’t a category, it’s just a big list of ingredients that each individual person can choose from, and just like with any other way of eating, you can choose the inexpensive items, or you can choose the expensive ones. 
The best way to go vegan is to find dishes that you enjoy that don’t contain animal products (which everyone eats) and start building from there. Then, when you have your cravings, go for the offered alternative products.

Disclaimer:

What you do with your food is your choice. I’m not trying to tell you what choices to make. But, since price seems to be one of the biggest issues addressed with veganism. I felt obligated to speak on the matter and offer some insight and potential solutions.

Please don’t hesitate to ask questions!


Make sure to follow me on Instagram for bonus recipes and information on a vegan lifestyle: @Piper.Ally

And if you find my content helpful, please consider supporting my on Patreon: 
https://www.patreon.com/PiperAlly

Comments

Popular Posts